Detoxification at Kolmac is safe and comfortable
Detoxification is the first phase of outpatient treatment at Kolmac. Current treatment protocols make the process of detoxification from alcohol and drugs much more comfortable than it was in the past. Our goal is to provide you with effective detoxification that prepares you for the next step in your outpatient treatment.
What is involved in detoxification?
For detoxification, be prepared to come to our office and remain there for four to eight hours. We ask you to stop using substances the night before your detox appointment. If you have any morning withdrawal symptoms when you get to our office, we provide fast relief. If you use substances on the day you come in, you can delay detoxification.
When you arrive at Kolmac, you see one of our detoxification nurses and one of our psychiatrists or psychiatric nurse practitioners. These staff members help you manage withdrawal symptoms.
Our staff are experts at managing withdrawal symptoms
Managing withdrawal symptoms effectively and safely is a crucial part of detoxification. Current medications substantially relieve or eliminate acute withdrawal symptoms from alcohol and drugs such as opioids, like hydrocodone and oxycodone, tranquilizers, cocaine and heroin. Here are some more quick points about managing withdrawal symptoms during detoxification.
- At Kolmac, we use the most up-to-date medications for each substance. We choose medications with the highest effectiveness and the lowest levels of side effects.
- Our staff individualizes your medication dose during detoxification to assure optimal symptom relief without giving you more medications than you need.
- You participate in the decision about medication dosages, according to your comfort preferences.
- Our staff sends you home with a small supply of medication and you return the next day. When the withdrawal is an extended one, we provide you with appropriate prescriptions.
There are advantages to detoxifying in an outpatient setting
Detoxification at Kolmac offers our patients several benefits.
- No waiting. Our medical staff sees you quickly, rather than leaving you sitting in the hospital emergency room or waiting for transfer up to the medical floor.
- More intensive. Our medical staff sees you every hour, compared to every two to three hours or more on a hospital floor.
- No rush to taper medication too rapidly. Hospitals feel pressured to discharge patients quickly, leading to the possibility of a hurried detoxification. Our staff gradually tapers detox medication and manages protracted withdrawal symptoms for as long as necessary.
During detoxification, you receive compassionate, professionally managed care
Don’t let the fear of detox keep you from getting treatment. We expertly manage withdrawal in our safe, comfortable office. Contact us to begin treatment.
The Medical Mind Podcast
Hear the latest from our Founder and Chief Innovation Officer. Dr. Kolodner talks about Rethinking Withdrawal Management.