How we help you detoxify safely and comfortably
“If I knew that this was going to be this easy, I would have come in for treatment sooner.”
Current treatment protocols make the process of substance abuse detoxification from alcohol and drugs much more comfortable than it was in the past. Here are important things to know about the drug and alcohol detoxification treatment program at Kolmac:
- We want you to stop using substances the night before you come in and can relieve any morning withdrawal symptoms rapidly after you arrive. If you use substances on the day you come in, the process of detox is delayed. Current medications substantially relieve or eliminate acute withdrawal symptoms from alcohol, and drugs such as opioids like hydocodone and oxycodone, tranquilizers, cocaine, and heroin very quickly.
- On the first day, be prepared to remain at our office for 4 to 8 hours.
- You will see a Kolmac detoxification nurse as well as one of our psychiatrists or psychiatric nurse practitioners.
- We use the most up to date medication protocols for each substance and modify our protocols as improvements become available. We choose medications that have the highest levels of effectiveness and lowest level of side effects.
- We individualize your medication dose to assure optimal symptom relief without giving you more medication than you need.
- You participate in the decision about dosing, according to your comfort preferences.
- We send you home with a small supply of medication and have you return the next day. When the withdrawal will be an extended one, we provide you with prescriptions.
Why you are better off detoxifying in an outpatient setting
- No Waiting: You will be seen quickly by our medical staff rather than having to sit in the hospital emergency room or wait for transfer up to the medical floor.
- More Intensive: You are seen by the Kolmac medical staff every hour compared to every 2 to 3 hours or more on a hospital floor.
- No Rush to Taper Medication Too Rapidly: Hospitals are under pressure to discharge patients rapidly so the detoxification process can sometimes be rushed. Gradual tapering of detox medication and the management of protracted withdrawal symptoms can continue to be managed by Kolmac medical staff as long as necessary.