- This event has passed.
Tripping Through The Brain
March 11, 2016 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm UTC+0
N. Joseph Gagliardi, M.A., M.D., F.A.A.F.P
Adj. Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine
This program will take the participant on a lively and humorous journey through the human brain discussing: 1.the basic neurobiology of the brain; 2 how alcohol and drug abuse negatively affect the brain’s functioning. Special attention will be given to the negative impact on executive function, a vital tool in business performance.
At the end of this program, the participation will be able to:
- Discuss the three levels of the human brain.
- Discuss the basic structure and function of neural receptors and neurons.
- Discuss the functions of Dopamine and Serotonin.
- Discuss 2 major functions of the Frontal Lobe.
- Discuss how alcohol and drug abuse affect the frontal lobe and the pleasure center of the brain.
- Define executive functioning.
- Discuss how alcohol/drug abuse negatively impacts executive function and its impact on job performance.
- Discuss how treatment and recovery repair the dysfunctions of the brain.
- Discuss the importance of laughter and volunteer work in establishing recovery.