Nov 3 Kolmac School (Silver Spring)
Tripping Thru the Body: How Substances of Abuse affect Organ Systems
Purpose: This course is designed to provide psychotherapists and counselors with a basic overview of the medical complications of substance abuse in order to enhance the clinician’s knowledge and skills in screening for, and explaining to clients, the dangers of continued drug/alcohol abuse.
Objectives: At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Define: drug use; drug abuse; tolerance; physical dependence; addiction.
- Discuss the concept of relapse.
- Discuss the classes of abusable substances.
- Discuss at least three symptoms of drug abuse.
- Discuss how substance abuse harms the brain.
- Discuss how substance abuse harms the live
- Discuss how substance abuse harms the heart
- Discuss how substance abuse harms GI, reproductive and renal systems
- Use the basic knowledge of medical complications of drug abuse to assist clients in choosing recovery.
More Event Details:
- Presentation open to treatment professionals and referral sources
- Cost is free and lunch will be served
- This program is approved by the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for 1.5 Category I CEUs for Maryland Social Workers
- This CE Program has been approved by the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists for Category A
- MACDN Nurses will receive contact hours for this program
- This program has been approved by the EACC for 1.5 PDHs
- Kolmac is NAADAC Approved Education Provider number 833
Presenter: N. Joseph Gagliardi, M.A., M.D., F.A.A.F.P.
Dr. Gagliardi has worked in the field of addictions since 1972. Since then, he has worked in various capacities: as a consultant developing prevention programs, as an addictions counselor, as a Family Physician, as an Addiction Medicine Specialist and as adjunct assistant professor. He is currently a diplomate of the American Board of Addiction Medicine.